- 1 3-4 pound of rabbit pieces
- salt & ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 strips bacon, diced (optional)
- 6 to 8 cups chicken broth, or water
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 large red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 glove garlic, diced
- 2 cups fresh shelled lima beans, or 1 10 ounce frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme (optional)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or 1 10 ounce frozen
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Brown rabbit in bacon grease for about 10 minutes.Add broth and bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Add rest of bacon and remaining ingredients, except parsley. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until tender. Season to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
From “Spirit of The Harvest: North American Indian Cooking”, by Beverly Cox and Martin Jacobs.